Now it’s easier than ever to access the internet on the go! Tethering allows you to use your iPhone as a broadband modem for your laptop or personal computer using your phone’s 3G or 4G technology.
Not sure how to start tethering? Here, we take you through the process in just six easy steps! You can do this with Windows or Mac. Keep in mind that if you’re using a Mac, you’ll need the X 10.5.7 operating system, or later.
Remember, you’ll still be able to use your iPhone for phone calls and text messages while taking advantage of your iPhone’s broadband modem capabilities!
How to Use iPhone as Broadband Modem
1. Update your iPhone software. Plug your iPhone into your laptop or desktop computer and open iTunes. Then select “Check for Updates”.
2. Once you’ve updated the software on your phone, go to the Settings Menu and choose General -> Network -> Internet Tethering.
3. After sliding the Internet Tethering indicator to “on”, you’re ready to start tethering. You can either use a USB cable or Bluetooth, if your computer is equipped with this option.
4. To use a USB cable: First, hook up your iPhone to your computer or laptop using the USB cable that came with your iPhone. Once your iPhone is connected, choose Control Panel -> Network Services on your PC in order to select your iPhone to access the internet.
On a Mac, you’ll get a pop-up message informing you that “A New Network Interface Has Been Detected”. You can configure the network settings by selecting Network Preferences on your Mac.
5. To use Bluetooth: Switch your iPhone Bluetooth to “on” by selecting General -> Bluetooth and sliding the indicator to “on”. Now you just need to link your iPhone to your computer using your computer’s Bluetooth option. On a Mac, you’ll find it in the System Preferences. On a PC, check the Control Panel.
6. To confirm that you’re up and running, look for the blue bar at the top of your iPhone screen indicating “Internet Tethering”.
Tips for Enhancing your Experience
Here are some final tips for enhancing your experience:
1. You have to actively end the connection once you’ve finished using your iPhone as a broadband modem as the connection remains even if you’re not using the broadband connection yourself.
2. It’s also a good idea to check with your service provider in order to avoid any additional fees while using your iPhone as a broadband modem. We recommend a data plan that offers you up to 1GB of data transfers per month. You can check how much data you’re transferring
by going to Settings -> General -> Usage on your iPhone.
3. It’s best to plug your iPhone in while using it as a broadband modem because this type of use will quickly drain the battery.
4. If you’re interested in tethering multiple devices, the MiFi is a great option. The MiFi is a wireless router that lets you access the internet anywhere on up to five devices at once through your phone service provider, and without breaking the bank!
Also see: How to Change Your Apple iPhone Ringtone
With so many options, it’s easy to get all of your devices online!
This is a guest post by Spencer Hogg from the Broadband Expert website great broadband deals are found and compared.