Microsoft has just released Windows 8 - a developer preview of their upcoming operating system with almost 300+ features . Users from all over the world can download the preview and install it on their systems.
One of the cooler features that hasn’t been talked about a lot is the ability to take your entire Windows 8 installation with you on a USB drive and use it on any machine. This article gives details of installing Windows 8 from a USB device.
Windows 8 has the following system requirements(similar to Windows 7):
- 1 Gigahertz or faster 32-bit or 64-bit processor
- 1 Gigabyte of RAM for 32-bit, 2 Gigabytes of RAM for 64-bit minimum
- 16 Gigabyte hard drive for 32-bit systems, 20 Gigabyte for 64-bit systems
- Direct X 9 graphics card
Steps to Install Windows 8 from the USB Drive
If your PC meets all the above mentioned requirements, then follow this step by step procedure to install Windows 8 from the USB device.
1. First prepare your USB Drive. You need an USB key with at least 4 GB of free space. The first step is to format the key with the FAT32 file system.
This is done by connecting the USB key to the computer, right-clicking its drive letter and selecting Format from the options. The Format window pops up where you need to make sure that Fat32 is the selected file system.
2. Download Windows 8 Developer Preview from Microsoft website.
3. The easiest way to copy Windows 8 to an USB drive and make that drive bootable at the same time is to use Microsoft’s Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool. Download Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe from Microsoft Store and install on your PC
4. After installation, just select the Windows 8 ISO when asked to pick an ISO image from the computer. Then select to copy the contents to an USB drive. The program will copy all files to the drive and make that drive bootable at the same time.
5. Now you plug in your USB pen drive which is a bootable one into the computer where you want to install Windows 8 and choose the option to boot from USB. You need to go to the BIOS and change the boot priority option so that your PC will boot from the USB pen drive before it tries booting from hard disk. This is done by hitting Esc or some other special function key while booting your computer will get you into the BIOS.This will install Windows 8 into your computer or laptop.
All done. So now you can use Windows 8 operating system on your PC.