After a long and not particularly exciting wait, Google Drive is finally here, offering 5GB of free online storage to anyone who holds an account with the search giant.
Google Drive will be a place where you can share, create and collaborate your stuff. No matter where you are whether on vacation and want to access some files just get them through Google drive. With it you can access files saved in your computer from any device.
If you’re familiar with Dropbox, you’ll be right at home with Google Drive. In addition to accessing the service from within your Google Docs account, you can also download the PC and Mac Google Drive client that launches as a folder on your computer.
All files, including videos, photos, PDFs, and Google Docs, dropped into the Drive folder get synchronized to your account. You can also opt to not sync selected folders to one or more of your computers.
Your data will always remain safe with Google Drive even if your phone is corrupted, laptop not working or Hard Disk get crashed.
Features of Google Drive
- Collaborate: If you are working on some kind of project on Google doc, spreadsheet or presentation, you and your partner can work together on a single project at the same time from different places.
- No waiting: No there’s no need to attach a file through email attachment. All you need to do is, just upload it and send a link of it through gmail.
- Sharing made easy: Tired of uploading pics on image sharing website and videos on youtube? Directly share the images and videos of yours in your G+ circle by selecting “From Google Drive”.
- Search instantly: As we all know, Google is the most accurate search engine. So is the google Drive search box, which lets you search files by keyword and filer it by type, owner and more. It even recognize the object in the document and images with Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology.
- Open any file: It supports Over 30 file format which means you can open even HD video, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop file in your browser.
- Share and edit permissions: Share file with anyone you want whether it be a group or a specific person. And edit there permission if they can view, edit or comment.
- Tracks every change: Whenever you save a file, each time a new revision has been created so that you can access your even 30 days back data. Also, save a revision forever if you want to.
- Get 5GB Storage free.
Google Drive is also available for Android devices, with iPhone and iPad support to follow soon. If you’re Google Chrome user, you will also able to access your Google Drive account when you’re not connected to the Internet.
Price: Google starts you off with 5GB of free storage, but according to the Official Gmail Blog, “everyone’s free storage will be increased from 7.5 GB to 10 GB (and counting) to celebrate today’s launch of Google Drive. The increase will take effect over the next 24 hours“.