Sensing the need of maps for offline viewing, Google in its latest version of Google maps for Android that lets you download Google maps of select cities and browse maps offline from anywhere in the world without a working internet connection, wi-fi or 3G access!
Google maps now lets you save up to six large metro areas (like Greater London, Paris, or New York City) with your working net access before you visit those areas.
Once you have downloaded the maps, they are stored on your smart phone and you can view these maps offline, since they are stored on your phone. Right now Google maps offers offline support for 150 countries!
- Google Maps Cube: Play Labyrinth in 3D Google Maps
- How to Get Location-based Reminders on your Android Phone
- How to Access Facebook on any Mobile Without Internet
How to Download Google Maps for Offline Viewing
Google Maps for Android lets you download maps up to 10 mile radius around the area you choose. You can select a multiple area and download the maps, eventually downloading entire city.
Here is how you can do it.
- To begin with, download the latest version of Google Maps for Android app [version 5.7] from Android Market.
- Just visit the location you want as usual and select the “Make available offline” option from the menu.
- Once you click on Make available offline option, you will see a rectangular shape over the map, move the rectangle over the location that you want to save and want to use offline later.
- Google maps will provide a file size estimate which it wants to download.
- If you have enough storage space on your Android phone, then you confirm and the maps download will start.
- Google Maps will now download 10 mile radius data on to the phone. After the download is complete, the app will show you the area that was downloaded to the device.
In the similar way, you can select any number of areas and download the map data. This means you can easily download your entire city map in few minutes for offline viewing. Enjoy!
Bonus tip: After downloading the maps activate free GPS access from your Android phone. This will help you to show your exact location on the map without a data connection.